That's the hardware targeted version (has interlace enabled, which is pretty much the only difference and doesn't work in VICE). I am doing well keeping the ram low at the moment but still a lot to do yet so fingers crossed. No sounds yet either. Mostly this version includes more levels and tweaks to the game engine.
(I fixed the link, I think it was pointing to the wrong file before)
I am literally slapping my forehead going "Do'h!" at the moment reading that. I hadn't put two and two together that the attribute size matched the char size, I also hadn't connected the dots that you could make the char size smaller as well as larger. I use double height characters in my game to speed up the drawing (less writes) but the full impact of what I was doing hadn't dawned on me with regards to the bitmap mode.
Ok, I got onto this again and have implemented some compression for the levels. I have also started to finish off some of the missing parts of the game engine so I can make more of it playable. I'm planning on doing the BD font when I get the chance to put the timer, score etc info on the screen. So progress isn't dead, just slow. I have paused plans for sound at the moment while I fix up the memory issues.
If I can get it under 32k I would like to make a C128 cart for it, so that's my goal. I don't know if I can manage that though.
First, how do I actually get more than 2 colours in an 8x8 cell? I have a bitmap in the first memory area to draw the picture then the attribute bytes to set the 2 colours. How on earth do I get smaller than 8x8 colour cells?
Can you get more than 1 colour + background in text mode? If I could just get the same as in bitmap mode where each character has it's own background colour I would be happy!
I saw a VGA program for the 128. It didn't work on my monitor and I assume the timings are the issue, which registers do I change to alter the H and V timings to tweak it to work on my monitor?
This is just for starters. I've seen the Oblivion demo and I won't be happy till I push the VDC as far for a real game.
I am quite saddened by the lack of posts in this section
Could you share some tips maybe on getting the most out of the VDC? I am having trouble making graphics look nice due to the limited colours. How exactly do I get the 8x2 mode working? I have not seen a decent technical explanation of any of the trickier things. It took me long enough to work out how to just get colour graphics at all.
I think it's more to do with the timings of the modes. Interlace is simply the process of sending a different image half the time. The TV just sees 50 frames and puts half on even and half on odd lines making 25 "pictures" per second.
The Adapter I have seems to work with the Amiga I am now trying to set up so I am very sure it's just timing issues with the C128, old CRT monitors were much more forgiving than modern equipment that expects things to be very close to the spec.
It would be interesting to connect some old school video monitoring equipment to the C128 and analyse the timings it outputs. I know I had a nightmare getting interlace mode working. Maybe I should hook up my scope.
Thanks! All good feedback. Glad to know you liked it
I have not managed to play a SID from the compiler but I can do basic sounds so I might just add pings and crunches during the game as that will make it feel a lot more like a proper game.
It runs in fast mode, it applies it itself on run so no need to type it yourself. The player moves in time with the falling rocks and as far as I remember you could always outrun them on the original. I am trying to make it as close as I possibly can.