Probably my biggest project in ML, writing it myself that is. I took a slow BASIC program that used GET# and PRINT# to modify two Image BBS ML files and change serial # bytes embedded within it in different places, to do Kernal loads and saves. The ML is self-modifying, there's a table of patch addresses and values, then it's re-saved. It took quite a while to get the hang of the Kernal SAVE routine, it's complex! For a beginner that is. But I'll say the results are worth it. With no JiffyDOS, the process took 40 minutes. With JiffyDOS, it takes about 25 seconds!
There's a lot of weird manipulation going on with the serial # bytes, I've disassembled the code in an attempt to understand what's going on but it's not quite jelling yet. The people who did previous work did a good job, but I can't help but feel like there's more refining to be done.
Lots of Love, Pinacolada... but what exactly are you talking about?
I gather you are working with "Image BBS". I am not familair with that, but based on the tile, it is almost surely a bulleting board system... hey if it educates you, cool... but shouldn't you be releasing TADA? Really, that is a title I have been waiting on for so long that I am actually willing to spend some money on it now... not much money, but the fact I would spend any money on software in these days of "free/99 cent" apps will (hopefully) indicate how important we (well me) think of a working TADA!
Ok so small update to TADA project; Creative Micro Designs published a "sliding input" routine in Commodore World, issue 21, page 36. They said if credit was given to them, the routine could be used in any program, commercial or otherwise. It's an enhanced string input routine meant to be used from ML; you give it parameters like how wide the input area is, which string to use as default input, and the maximum allowed string length which can be returned. If the max length > input width, the string will scroll to the left or right. Cursor keys, INST and DEL are allowed. It also has a flashing block cursor.
I added the ability to type a quote mark (the original filtered that out, since the routine was used for inputting DOS commands, pathnames, etc. and that wouldn't have made sense. But this is being extended to be a more general-purpose INPUT routine to be used from BASIC. AgentFriday has helped a lot with achieving that goal. Now there are just some small bugs to work out. Once I get them fixed, I'll post a demo.